The Evergreen-Washelli Cemetery
was founded in 1884 by David T. Denny (1832-1903) and his wife Louisa Boren Denny (1827-1916) on part of their original donation land claim, in Seattle's north end. The cemetery straddles Aurora Avenue N beginning just beyond N 109th Street. Most members of David's branch of Denny family and that of his cousin Henry Levi Denny are buried there. Begun as the Oak Lake Cemetery, Washelli entered into a series of mergers with the newly organized Evergreen Cemetery in the 1920s. Today, Evergreen-Washelli Cemetery maintains operations on grounds that span both sides of Aurora Avenue N, overlooking interments dating from 1884 to present. There are many sections within Evergreen-Washelli that include the Veterans Memorial Cemetery and sections devoted to religious communities, fraternal organizations, civil service and ethnic groups.